Friday, April 3, 2009

Theft of the Book

after C.D. Wright

candles snuffed out
across
arizona
no one jumps
out of cars
I fall asleep
writing
re-writing
the unknown
poem
of our
spirit
awakened
by the fullness

This poem directly mimic's a poem by C.D. Wright titled "Gift of the Book". I wrote the poet and asked for permission to reprint her version here, but as yet I have not heard back. If I do I will update this post. Otherwise, go to the library and check out her book Tremble. The poem is on page 27. Another great poem called "Autographs" on page 18 is much more difficult to mimic, so we'll save that for another day.

UPDATE: The poet, C.D. Wright, wrote me back this morning giving me permission to use her poem. Originally printed in "Tremble" (Echo Press 1997), and again in "Steal Away: Selected and New Poems" (Copper Canyon Press 2002)

Gift of the Book

lights go off
all over
rhode island
everyone falls
into bed
I stay awake
reading
re-reading
the long-awaited
prose
of your
body
stunned
by the hunger

5 comments:

  1. Personally I like poems that rhyme better.You know...There was a man from Nantucket...;)

    Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, Anon, you could be any one of a number of people: Tom, Michelle, my brother Greg, Gary....you all seem to be focused on that particular limerick. Maybe I will write a rhyming poem this month just for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brooke, don't want to offend but I didn't think this one was great on the first read. then I read the original and really liked it. I went back and reread yours and it made more sense and I liked it better. don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anon -

    You cannot offend me be disliking my poems. On its own, this one is not particularly interesting. C.D. Wright is a master, I am an apprentice. It makes sense you like mine more after reading hers, which is why I am grateful to her for letting me post it.

    - Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love C. D. Wright! We should chat about her work sometime.

    ReplyDelete